Terms & Conditions
- These Terms and Conditions collectively and individually (‘Terms and Conditions’) apply to your use of all International Journal for Population Data Science (IJPDS) materials including our websites, applications, services and products (referred to as ‘Services’ or individually a ‘Service’) or that reference or link to these Terms and Conditions and are provided by IJPDS.
- Any reference to the IJPDS , ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ is to the International Journal for Population Data Science (IJPDS) and any reference to ‘you’ or ‘your’ is to you as a user of the IJPDS Service.
- IJPDS is a Journal published by the Data Science Department of Swansea University. Any related rights and obligations of the IJPDS belong to Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP and will be enforced by the University as a body corporate.
- By choosing to access or use any of the Services, you will be bound by these Terms which take effect immediately on your first and all subsequent visits to the Services.
- If you choose to use the Services of IJPDS these Terms and Conditions are binding, if you do not agree to the content of these provisions it is not appropriate that you use the site.
- Any rights not expressly granted in these Terms are reserved.
General Provision for Using the IJPDS Services
- The content, layout, design, data, databases and graphics on this website are protected by UK and other intellectual property laws and are owned by IJPDS. These include text, graphics, user interfaces, photographs, trademarks, logos, videos, audio, images, applications, programmes, computer code and other information (collectively known as the ‘Content’) including but not limited to the design layout ‘look and feel’ and the arrangement of such content. This is owned by IJPDS, its licensors or its content providers and is protected by copyright, trademark and other intellectual property and unfair competition laws.
Permission for Use of Our Intellectual Property
- You may, except as otherwise provided in any additional terms for a Service, print or download Content from the Services for your own personal, non-commercial, informational or scholarly use, provided that you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices. You may not create and/or derive work or make any other adaption without our prior written consent.
- You may not copy, display, distribute, modify, publish, reproduce, store, transmit, post, translate or create other derivative works from or sell, rent or licence all or any part of the Content, or products or services obtained from the Services, in any medium to anyone, except as otherwise expressly permitted under these Terms and Conditions, or any relevant licence or subscription agreement or authorisation by us.
- Any trademarks or logos which are displayed on the websites are the trademarks of the IJPDS and its licensors. Any use of these trademarks is strictly prohibited without our or the licensors consent.
IT Systems and Technology
- You may not reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or translate any software in the Content, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code of such software, except to the extent expressly permitted under applicable law, without our prior permission. You may not engage in any systematic retrieval of the Content from the Services to create or compile, directly or indirectly, a collection, compilation, database or directory without our prior written permission.
- You may not use robots, spiders or crawlers or other automated downloading programmes, algorithms or devices, or any similar or equivalent manual process to (i) continuously or automatically search, scrap, extract, deep link or index any Content (ii) harvest personal information from the Services for the purposes of sending unsolicited or unauthorised material or (iii) cause disruption to the working of the Services or any other persons use of the Services. If the Services contain robot exclusion files or robot exclusion headers you agree to honour them and not to use any device, software or routine to bypass them. You may not attempt to gain unauthorised access to any portion or feature of the Services, any other systems or networks connected to the Services or to any Swansea University server or any of the products or services provided on, accessed from or distributed through the Services. You may not probe, scan or test the vulnerability of the Services or any network connected to the Services or breach or attempt to breach the security or authentication on the Services or any network connected to the Services.
- You may not, without the approval of IJPDS use the Services to publish or distribute any advertising, promotional material, or solicitation to other users of the Services to use any goods or services. For example (but without limitation) you may not use the Services to conduct any business, to solicit the performance of any activity that is prohibited by law, or to solicit other users to become subscribers of other information services. Similarly, you may not use the Services to download and redistribute public information or shareware for personal gain or distribute multiple copies of public domain information or shareware.
How Information is managed
Information That We Collect About You
Content You Provide to Us or Posted on or Through the Service
- Except as otherwise provided in any additional terms for a Service, we do not claim ownership of any content, application or other material that you or third parties provide to us (including feedback and suggestions) or post, upload, input or submit on or through the Services, including our blog pages , message boards, comment or discussion features, chat rooms and forums, for review by the general public, registered users of the Services or by the members of any public or private community (’Submission’) and you retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in the Submission.
- Any material that you upload to our sites will however be considered non confidential and non-proprietary unless otherwise stated.
- You grant us a transferable, royalty free, worldwide, irrevocable licence to use, copy, distribute, edit, amend, disclose and sub licence to third parties and create derivative works in whole or part of any material for any purpose, in any media. We may remove, edit or amend any such material at any time and without notice to you.
- Authors whose articles are accepted for publication in IJPDS, subject to the provisions of clause 20, shall be required to sign a publishing agreement setting out the terms and conditions relating to copyright in these circumstances.
- Any material posted and your use of the site must comply with the following:
- It must be lawful and not connected to any criminal activity
- You must not send material that is illegal, offensive, abusive, indecent, harmful, defamatory, obscene menacing or racist, threatening, invasive of privacy, in breach of confidence, infringes any intellectual property rights or is otherwise injurious to third parties, objectionable or which contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, key stroke loggers, software, adware or other harmful or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware, politically campaigning, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings or any spam.
- You must not cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety,
- You must not impersonate any third party or otherwise mislead as to the origin of your content
- You must not scrape, build databases or otherwise create permanent copies of any part of a website or keep cached copies longer than permitted by the cache header or which is otherwise actionable at law. The Editorial Board may at any time exercise editorial control over the Content of the Services.
- You must not remove obscure or alter any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices, falsify or delete any author attributions, legal notices or other labels of the origin or source of the material.
- We are not responsible for the content, accuracy or compliance with relevant laws or regulations of any Submission that contains content that is not owned by IJPDS.
- You shall not make any submission anonymously and you warrant and represent that that any such Submission is original and has been written by you.
- We are under no obligation to display or otherwise use any Submission you may provide and we may remove any Submission at any time in our sole discretion. By posting such a Submission you also warrant and represent that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to your Submission including, without limitation, all the rights necessary for grating the permission specified above.
- We shall have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor Submissions to determine compliance with these Terms and Conditions and any operating rules we establish and to satisfy any law, regulation or authorized government request. We shall have the right in our sole discretion to edit, refuse to post, or remove any Submission and to disclose to any third party who is claiming that any material posted or uploaded by you constitutes a violation of their rights including their intellectual property rights, reputational rights or their right to privacy.
Notification of Infringement
- Notifications regarding any alleged intellectual property infringement should be directed to The Head of Legal Services, Swansea University, Singleton Abbey, Singleton Campus, Swansea SA2 8PP.
- The Services may contain links to third party sites or resources. We do not endorse and are not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products or other materials on or available from external sites or resources linked to the Services. Transactions between you and any third party are strictly between you and the third party and are not the responsibility of IJPDS.
- You must not suggest any form of endorsement or association with IJPDS without prior express agreement. You must not use on your site any trademark, service mark or copyrighted materials appearing on the Services including any logos without express written consent or an explicit licence from the owner. We reserve the right to withdraw a linking permission by giving reasonable notice or by amending these terms and conditions
- The IJPDS may contain links that take you outside of its website. These are provided for convenience and no endorsement of any linked site is inferred by its inclusion on the site. The IJPDS has no control over the content of any linked site and takes no responsibility for loss or damage that may arise from your use of such a site. This use is entirely at your own risk.
Disclaimer of Warranties and Liability
- We provide the Services using a reasonable level of skill and care in a commercial context, but neither IJPDS nor its suppliers or licensors make any specific promises about the Services, including the Content of any Submission or availability of the Service. For example we do not make any commitment that the operation of the Services will be uninterrupted or error free; that any defects will be corrected, that the Services including the server that makes them available are free of viruses or other harmful components, or as to the accuracy , completeness, reliability , availability, suitability, quality, non-infringement, operation or result obtained from the use of any Content or Submission provided on, accessible from or distributed through the Services.
- IJPDS and its suppliers and licensors provide the Services and all Content and any Submission included in or accessible from the Services ‘as is’ and without warranties or representations of any kind (express, implied and statutory, including but not limited to the warranties of title and non-infringement and the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose), all of which IJPDS and its suppliers and licensors disclaim to the fullest extent permitted by law. Your use of the Services and all content and Submissions included in or accessible from the Services are at your sole risk.
- Practitioners and researchers must rely on their own experience, knowledge and judgement in evaluating or applying any information, which remains in their professional responsibility. Because of rapid advances in the medical sciences and changes in government regulations and clearances, we recommend that independent verification of diagnoses, treatments, indications, choice of drugs and drug dosages should be made. Discussions, views and recommendations expressed not be considered absolute and universal for every situation. IJPDS will not be liable for the failure of any user of the Services, Content or Submission to use due care in the use and validation of results made available through the Services, Content or Submission, nor will IJPDS be liable for any medical treatment provided by users to their patients, whether or not the Services, Content or Submission were used in connection with such treatment.
- To the extent permitted under applicable law, in no event shall IJPDS or its suppliers or licensors be liable for any damages (including without limitation consequential, special, incidental, indirect, or similar damages, personal injury (including death) loss of profits, corruption or loss of data, business interruption or any other commercial damages or losses) arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of the Services or the Content or Submissions, or shall the liability of IJPDS or its suppliers and licensors exceed a sum equal to the fees paid by you hereunder, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
- To the extent permitted by law the IJPDS excludes expressly:
- All conditions warranties and other terms which may otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity, any liability arising from a force majeure event, any obligation of effectiveness or accuracy and any action for loss arising from your inability to use any information on our website or within any publication subscribed to or any linked websites. Nothing in this provision affects our liability for death or personal injury arising from negligence misrepresentation or any other matter than cannot be excluded by law.
- IJPDS does not claim ownership , endorse or take responsibility for any third party products, information, guidelines, materials or services that may be offered, advertised, provided or displayed on the Service or incorporates in the Content or any Submission contained on, accessible from or distributed through the Services.
- You hereby agree to indemnify and hold IJPDS, its directors, officers, shareholders, predecessors, successors in interests, employees, agents, suppliers and licensors harmless from and against all and any third party claims of liability, losses, damages and costs including without limitation, reasonable legal fees arising out of or in connection with your violation of these Terms and Conditions and your use of or your inability to use any of the Services or the Content or Submissions.
Registered User grant of Licence
- Some sites may require you to register. If registration is required, you agree to provide accurate and complete registration information. It is your responsibility to inform IJPDS of any changes to that information. Each registration is for a single individual only, unless specifically designated otherwise on the registration page. IJPDS does not permit a) anyone other than you to use the sections requiring registration by using your name or password or b) access through a single name being made available to multiple users on a network otherwise. As a registered user of a Service, IJPDS grants to you a non-transferable, non-exclusive and revocable licence to use the Service according to these Terms and Conditions. Except as expressly granted herein or in any other agreement you have with IJPDS, you acquire no right, title or licence in the Service or any Content or Submission accessed from or incorporated in the Service.
Password Use and Security
- If you keep a password to access a Service, you must not reveal your password and must take reasonable steps to keep your password safe and secure. You agree to notify IJPDS as soon as you become aware or have reason to believe that there is any unauthorised use of your password or account or any other breach of security. IJPDS is in no way responsible for any claims or losses related to the use or misuse of your password or account due to the activities of any third party outside of our control or due to your failure to maintain their confidentiality and security.
About Our Terms and Conditions
- Term and Termination: Any licence granted to you to use any Service is effective until it expires, until IJPDS terminates it, or until you provide notice to IJPDS to terminate it.
- Should you fail to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions your licence will terminate automatically without notice. IJPDS reserves the right to suspend, discontinue or change a Service or its availability to you at any time without notice.
- No Assignment of your rights or obligations to any party under these terms is permitted.
- Waiver of rights, remedy, power or privilege: Any waiver shall only be effective if explicit, in writing and signed. Any delay or a failure to enforce a right, remedy, power or privilege shall not constitute a waiver of those provisions on the part of IJPDS.
- Additional Terms: Additional terms and conditions may apply to purchases of goods or services, to specific portions or features of a Service, and to subscriptions or licenses with institutions with which you may be employed or affiliated. If there is a conflict between these Terms and Conditions and the terms that are posted for or applicable to a specific portion of the Service, for any service offered on or through the Service, or set forth in an institutional subscription or license agreement, the latter terms shall control with respect to your use of that portion of the Service, the specific service or the subscribed or licensed product.
- Compliance with Laws: You agree to comply with relevant laws and regulations that apply to your use of the Services, Content or any Submission.
- Severability: If any provision in these Terms and Conditions is held invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, the remaining provisions shall continue in force and effect.
- As permitted by law these terms will be governed by the laws of England and Wales. The terms shall be construed in accordance with the courts of that jurisdiction unless these laws would not be upheld in the courts of the users stated country, or an English or Welsh judgment could not be enforced in that jurisdiction or it would take six months or more to enforce in an alternative jurisdiction in which case the laws of the users stated country shall be used to govern this agreement and its courts Notwithstanding the above this clause shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales.
- Any claim arising out of or in connection any Submission must be brought within one (1) year after the event or such claim is barred.
- Export Controls: Where a Submission consists of software that is subject to US, EU or any other Export Controls, you represent and warrant that (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government, EU or other embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government or the EU as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government, EU or any other list of prohibited or restricted parties.
- The IJPDS reserves the right to change, modify, add or remove portions of these Terms and Conditions at its discretion at any time and without prior notice. Please check these Terms and Conditions regularly for any changes. Your continued use of the Service following the posting of any changes will mean that you have accepted and agreed to the changes.
22nd March 2017